- The employee opposes practices forbidden by the FEHA, such as discrimination or harassment.
- The employee filed a complaint, testified, or assisted in any court proceeding related to a FEHA claim.
- The employee is a whistleblower.
Retaliatory Discharge LawIf you wish to bring a claim for retaliation against your employer or former employer, then you must prove the following:
- You were engaged in a protected activity
- You were subjected to an adverse employment action
- A causal link exists between the protected activity and the employer’s action
Which California employee activities are protected?An employee is protected from retaliatory activity when doing the following:
- Engaging with the employer for a reasonable accommodation.
- Filing a complaint, testifying, or assisting the DFEH or other state or federal agencies
- Filing an internal complaint with their employer
- Helping a person who is seeking the advice of the DFEH
- Opposing practices the employee believes violate the law.
- Refusing to carry out an order because the employee believes that it is forbidden by the FEHA
- Requesting CFRA/FMLA leave.
- Requesting time off for a disability
- Seeking the advice of the DFEH
Who can file a retaliatory claim?A retaliation claim may be brought by an employee who has complained about or opposed conduct that the employee reasonably believes to be discriminatory. A retaliation claim can only be brought against the employer, and an employee cannot sue the person who retaliated against them.
How can I prove retaliatory discharge?Employees can prove they were retaliated against or discharged unfairly by establishing that the employer was aware that the employee engaged in protected activities and that the adverse action followed soon afterward.
What Does Retaliation Look Like?Some telltale signs that your employer might be retaliating against you may include:
- Your workload has increased
- You are assigned to less desirable shifts
- Your supervisors exclude you from meetings or correspondence or otherwise make it difficult for you to perform well on your projects
- You are denied a promotion or raise that you think you deserved relative to other co-workers
- You are subject to disciplinary action on inadequate grounds
- You are denied access to resources that would help you improve your work quality or advance your career
Anti-Retaliation LawsThe following laws were put in place to limit retaliatory acts:
- Fair Employment and Housing Act
- California Labor Code Sections 1102.5 and 98.6
- Labor Code 132a-Workers’ Compensation Laws Prohibit Retaliation
Protect Yourself Against Unlawful RetaliationIf your employer carries out any type of retaliatory action, you are in a position to launch a full-fledged lawsuit with the help of your retaliation attorney. If you believe that you are being subject to retaliatory actions from your employer, the first step is to speak with an attorney at Falakassa Law, P.C. Call 916-680-8486 to speak with an employment lawyer today!
"Best Employment Lawyers"
5 - Star Reviews
"I’m so happy I worked with Falakassa and not another lawyer. He fought for my case when it wasn’t looking good. Any other lawyer would have given up on my case but he fought for me until the end. I would recommend him and call him again if I’m ever I’m ever in need of a lawyer."
"Josh is my go-to lawyer after my last few interactions with him. He’s extremely sharp, very knowledgeable about his craft and industry, and has tons of experience that showed to an effective lawyer and got me great results."
"Mr. Falakassa is an ultra professional employment lawyer. He cares for his clients and represents employees only against big companies. He will get you results and I refer/recommend him for any employment law Cases"
"Mr. Falakassa is a well polished employment lawyer. He answered all my inquiries and is always available to answer the phone. He is a great writer and one of the best at what he does. I would go to him for any employment law issues"
“I have gotten to know Mr. Falakassa working with him closely in a professional capacity. He is very smart and professional and he is always ready to go the extra step. I highly recommend him for any employment law dispute.”
“Attorney Falakassa is an outstanding employment lawyer. He took his time and gave me a free consultation and answered all my questions and followed up. He is very sharp and professional. I highly recommend him for any employment law dispute.”
“I’m glad to have met Mr. Falakassa. He is a top employment lawyer and truly cares for his clients. He will maximize your recovery. I recommend him for any termination or wage issues!”
“Mr. Falakassa is an outstanding gentlemen and lawyer. He’ll take the time to sit down with you and really get to know you and your legal concerns to provide the best possible outcome. I would definitely recommend this firm for any employment related needs.”